Nederlandse Seintoestellen Fabriek
- this page is a stub
Nederlandse Seintoestellen Fabriek (Dutch Telegraph Factory),
abbreviated NSF, was a Dutch manufacturer of domestic radio equipment and
broadcast transmitters, established in 1918 and located in Hilversum
(Netherlands). On 21 July 1923, the first public broadcast was made from its
premises. Until 1960, NSF was the largest radio and transmitter factory
of the Netherlands .
The company started as a joint venture between
Marconi UK, Philips and
Radio Holland, but eventually became a wholly owned subsidary of Philips
in 1925. In 1947, NSF was renamed Philips Telecommunicatie Industry
started the development of professional telephone exchanges.
The company was eventually dissolved into Alcatel Lucent
(1983) and NEC (2010).
NSF equipment on this website
The company was established in Amsterdam on 27 February 1918,
as a joint venture between Marconi U.K. (40%),
Philips (40%) and Radio Holland (20%), and was
headquartered in Hilversum (Netherlands) — today the home of
nearly all public broadcasters in the country. Initially, the company only
produced professional transmitters for the Dutch Navy, the Air Force and for
the Dutch overseas territories, but eventually they also made
equipment for the merchant navy, in addition to domestic radio sets,
Marconi transmitters and Philips consumer radios.
From 21 July 1923 onwards, the company started domestic broadcast trials
and rented out studio space to several public broadcasters. After Philips
took over all NSF shares in 1925, the company grew from 250 employees in 1920,
to approx. 1000 in 1928. During the recession of 1929, NSF also produced
bicycles and Meccano-like construction kits, mainly as an interim solution.
At the start of World War II (WWII),
NSF had 1100 employees on its payroll. Immediately after the German
invasion of the Netherlands in May 1940, the company was taken over by the
German occupant and was forced to produce equipment for the German war machine.
During the war, NSF employees had a leading role in the planning of the general
strike of February 1941, sabotage activities
and the secret production of
clandestine radio equipment
for the Dutch resistance.
After the war, the factories in Hilversum and Huizen were completely
taken over by Philips,
and the transmitter factory was converted into a telecommunication
factory — aiming at the international
market for switched telephone
exchanges. In 1947, the name NSF was changed to Philips Telecommunicatie
Industrie (PTI) and by 1948, PTI had more than 3000 employees.
In the 1970s, PTI's profitability started to decline.
The equipment became increasinly complex, resulting in high research and
development costs. In 1983, PTI (Philips) went into a joint venture with the
for the development of fully digital public telephone exchanges
and transmission equipment, under the name
Lucent Technologies (Alcatel).
The development of on-premises exchanges (PABX)
— for homes and offices —
was left with Philips,
but was branched off into a joint venture with NEC in
2006, and was eventually fully taken over by NEC in 2010.
Any links shown in red are currently unavailable.
If you like the information on this website, why not make a donation?|
© Crypto Museum. Created: Thursday 01 April 2021. Last changed: Thursday, 01 April 2021 - 10:20 CET.